Friday, May 24, 2019

Altenew - AECP - Level 2 - Colour Your Day

Hi guys I'm back today with another card that I've made for my AECP.

Todays class was called Colour Your Day, with the lovely Therese Calvird, I really enjoyed this class and some of the info in the class I remembered vaguely from art class at school...way, way back...(too far back if I'm honest LOL)

So lets look at the colour wheel.. (this one is a free one I've downloaded)


Can you see from the wheel that if you say go with Red, that the complementary colour is Green, and that the Triad colours would be Blue-Green and Yellow Green... (Triad means it forms a triangle).
And if you look at the wheel it shows what other colours work well together too..like Orange and Red Violet or even Blue, colour combo's that you often wouldn't use together...

This really helps when your stuck, and not sure what colours go well with each other.

Also, photos can be a great colour inspiration too, or colour swatches, I have a lot of those saved on my Pinterest.., the other day I actually did a colour challenge that was from one of those swatches!

So I've based my card on the formula that Therese taught us the 70:20:10 Which is 70% of the card will be one colour, 20% is the next colour and 10% the last colour.. The colours used can be within the family of that colour. (like the colour wheel above)

Any way my card as I said is on the 70:20:10 rule,  I'm going to show you the card and then the process used..


I've used 70% as the neutral kraft colour, 20% the pink colours and 10% green colours.






So the process involved in this card... firstly, I stamped the image on to some kraft card stock with Sand Dune ink.


I've then go in with my light colours to add highlights, I like adding the white first on kraft card stock, this just ensures that I do in-fact get highlights where I want them.  And you need to work fast when using a light ink on kraft card stock as the ink seems to vanish..


Here I've started to add the darker greens to the image for shadows.. and then I'll move on to my Pink colours.


And once the image is complete, I can go back and re-stamp if need be. (I am using a stamping positioner)

I decided that I wanted to stamp the rest of the card with the images from the set, but my only colouring would be this one image, creating a spotlight effect.


Don't forget, that it won't be as detailed as this as the ink will nearly vanish.


I've framed the card and heat embossed a sentiment in Pink and used Pink sequins to tie in with my 20% colour.




 This formula can also be used in many ways... here's a few examples I've made..


On this card, I've used similar colours but the background is my 70% the cream leaves my 20% and the gold sentiment my 10%.


On this one, my background is splattered with my 20% and my 10% colours. (Pink/Reds and Green)


This whole card is just three colours too, White, Gray and Pink.

Hope this has helped you with you're colour combo struggle!

Thanks for stopping by

Hugs
Alli
XoX





10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Cards, Alli! Love the soft colors of your first card 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna, Loved doing that one, Hugs XoX

      Delete
  2. Alli, I am so very glad that I found your blog and I am following. I have learned so much in just the first two posts that I have received. These cards are gorgeous and I sure do appreciated the detailed process that you have described in each post. The first one that I saw that the final lesson with Altenew, a very long one, but I read it all. I am a fan, and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Barbara, I really appreciate your kind words and I am so glad that you are not only learning but following too! Hugs XoX

      Delete
  3. Beautifully done Allison! Therese is a great teacher! Your colouring looks very good. The remaining three cards are also very beautiful. I love the clean look of all the cards you created for this course. Very good! Please keep up the good work. Thank you for entering your gorgeous creations to the AECP gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look how you blog with your beautifully stamped cards! I am amazed at your effort in stepping up the game with blogging and card-making, Allison! I thoroughly enjoy seeing your pencil-coloring process and your gorgeous result! Thanks so much for entering your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Beautiful colors and design. Well done on this course! NEXT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW lovely! 70-20-10 is the same rule decorators use to decorate a room if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete