Sunday, May 5, 2019

Altenew - Easy Die Cutting Techniques

I've carried on with my AECP today as its raining here in Melbourne and what better way to spend the day but by learning new techniques and crafting!

My lesson today was die cutting not your normal run of the mill die cutting but how to incorporate different techniques on your cards, this was not something I have ever really done so this was a great lesson for me and made me think out of the box.

I started by stamping the clustered leaves on to a piece of white card stock and gold card stock, exactly in the same position that I wanted to inlay them in.

The white card stock looked a little too white, so I ink blended around where the gold leaves where to be inlaid, I liked the look of this so I continued ink blending the rest of the paper, I grabbed a darker colour and ink blended where the leaves were to make them stand out more.

Securing the inlaid leaves was easier than I thought I left the piece of ink blended card stock in my stamping tool held down by the magnets, I inlaid the clustered leaves and grabbed a piece of Press and seal to hold it all together while I turned it over and secured it all with foam tape.

I stamped the sentiment also from the clustered leaves in Dark Chocolate ink on to some vellum and wrapped this around the panel of the card, along with a thin strip of Golden washi at the top and bottom of the vellum, and I secured the panel on to the card front, all that was left to was to add sequins and my flowers...

Ok so I could have gone with just stamping some flowers, from the Build a Flower - Peony Blossom set, but I wanted this card to stand out. If you've never worked with Foamiran before its similar to fun foam but a lot thinner... The Foam on the left is fun foam and on the right is Foamiran, can you see how much thinner it is.



 I grabbed some Foamiran in cream and die cut 3 medium flowers and 3 small flowers. It die cuts really well and you don't need any additional plates or shims to cut it.




 I inked up the medium flower with Mocha ink and stamped on to the Foamiran, now the small flower doesn't have a corresponding detail stamp so I just used the same one for all the flowers.



You can use your heat tool to mould the flowers but a really hot dry iron works much better and Foamiran does shrink when heated, don't forget about this fact, if you need too fill a large space with flowers.

After the flowers were all moulded I used a glue dot to stick the smaller one on too the larger one, I've also moulded one of the larger flowers with the petals facing down and the other two facing up, just for something different.


I've added some gems in the middle and popped them on my card, a few sequins later and I was done!

I really like how this card turned out using the inlaid die technique!


Maybe you'll try this or better still take the class over on the Altenew site see what you can learn!

Thanks for popping in to see me.
Hugs
Alli
XoX

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa, Love making flowers... hugs XoX

      Delete
  2. Your DIY flowers are absolutely gorgeous!! Love love them and how you turned them into 3D! Thanks so much for entering your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia, I do love making flowers Hugs XoX

      Delete
  3. Your handmade blooms are stunning! I make a lot of flowers for my "work" and I often get tired of making them but the end result is always so good and makes up for all the work that is put in making them.
    I like your card, however I think if you changed the placement of the vines, it will look more balanced. This is just food for thought.
    Thank you for submitting your fabulous card to the AECP gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erum, haha yes, all the rolling and colouring LOL, I agree I should have used the longer ones in the set, thanks for the feedback hugs XoX

      Delete